Union Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Villages

If you look at a map of Union Township, you’ll see three small hamlets labeled.  While they are still labeled on the County map, two of these are nothing more than that. Small red squares marked on a map with a handful of houses dotting the landscape. The US Census labels these as a populated place that is not a census designated or incorporated place having an official federally recognized name.          

The first is Toots Crossroads. This area is at the intersection of Canyon and Pebble Roads. It was never officially incorporated and was most likely recognized for the one room schoolhouse that sat on one corner. 

The next similar area was Waterloo. This area is at the intersection of Autumn and Alamo Roads and sits in the valley next to a branch of McGuire Creek.  Again there are a few houses left to mark the area as well as a pond known affectionately by the folks living there as Muck’s Pond as it is owned by Henry Muck. At one time a schoolhouse sat on the opposite corner from the pond and according to a former citizen, there was a mill, a small general store and blacksmith there. One of the early log homes still stands at the top of one hill standing watch over the little valley.

Just two short miles from Waterloo was George Tope's saw mill and gristmill, which were the beginning of the only Village in the Township. There is no plat of this Village on record: but there was a survey made for Jasper Tope and Cornelius Brackin on the 23rd of September, 1867 -called Tope’s Mill. (Book of plats 1, page 21.)  Dolly McCort renamed it Petersburg for Peter Brackin, an early storekeeper. It was familiarly named Mudsock until roads were improved.

Petersburg became quite a manufacturing center: Churn Powers, Sleighs, Buggies and Wagons being made here. For many years it had two general stores, two blacksmith shops, a gunsmith, a cider press and a cooper shop. All of which were well patronized.

For many years one of the most popular and successful doctors in the State, Dr Hiram G. Tope, practiced here. John R. King kept a hotel for a short time. When the latter moved on, Mrs. Hiram Tope served meals and cared for travelers so well that her home became one of the most popular stopping places. Many schoolteachers boarded here.

At one point there was a boot and shoe manufacturing business carried on in Topes Mill by the Smith Brothers.      

In the early days a popular distillery was located on what later became the Ira and Jesse Brackin farm (1155 Canyon Rd SW).

Carroll County Townships
Click picture to enlarge

Some of the early storekeepers at Petersburg General Store were Messrs. McKee, Brackin, W. W. Fawcett, Pratt and Dr. Jasper Tope. Dr. Tope sold the store to Joseph B. Chambers in 1894. After the death of Mr. Chambers in August 1930, his wife, Anna M. Chambers took over the business. The latter’s daughter, Mrs. Donald C. Kennedy and her husband operated the store from Sept. 27, 1935 till Sept. 13 1957, when it was sold to Mr. & Mrs. William Girt. Harold & Blanche Hale operated the store from 1968-1976 when it discontinued being a general store. Other owners Lee R. Bain, Vera J.Frisosky, Joseph M. Hunter and Robert R. Snyder operated a part-time antique shop till 2005 when Willard & Imogene Albert purchased the store and converted it into a home.           

Union Township

 The Tope Family at Dr. & Mrs. Tope’s 50th Wedding Anniversary-10/22/1907

 The house sits behind the Petersburg General Store

 Union Township

  View of Petersburg early 1930’s before Rt. 332 was realigned

Union Township

   View of Petersburg & Algonquin Mill around 1960Union Township

 Aerial View of Petersburg & Algonquin Mill around 1960