Union Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Notable Individuals

Honorable Ross Buchanan---2306 Empire Rd SW

          Ohio House of  Representative-1923-1927

Dr. Foster Lindsey Brooks---1050 Emerald Rd SW

            Helped break the Japanese code to end WW II.

Honorable John H. Tripp

John was born July 6, 1820 on his father’s farm which is now Hustonville, Pennsylvania. Due to financial hardship the family moved from Pennsylvania to what is now Carroll County, Ohio. Having attended some of the finest schools in Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania when Mr. Tripp was sent to the district school. The teacher, Richard Dandy, felt John was at the teacher level, not a student and sent him home. There John learned orthography, reading, arithmetic, and penmanship from his father for four years. At night he would read what books he could find, such as Rollin’s Ancient History and Hallam’s Middle Ages. When he turned 18 in the fall of 1838 he attended the select school of Prof. John P. Grewell near Hanover in Columbiana County. (Prof. Grewell became a physician and literary gentleman in Oskaloosa, Iowa.) After three years, John Tripp returned home and began reading law in the office of Gen. E. R. Eckley.  During the winter of 1841 - 42 Mr. Tripp taught at North Union School where most of the full grown young men of the township attended.

In 1843, he was appointed by the Supreme Court, at Steubenville, to practice law.  He partnered with Gen. Eckley who was then State Senator. In 1845 he was elected prosecuting attorney and served two terms. Five years later he was elected Representative to the State Legislature. He ran for Probate Judge in 1851 but was beaten by A. W. Morrison. He ran against Judge Morrison in 1854 and won by several hundred votes. He was re-elected to the position in 1857.

During this time, in 1853, Mr. Tripp and William McCoy purchased the Free Press. They ran the paper until they sold to Jacob Weyand in 1857.

Mr. Tripp retired in 1861 and went into the law practice with B. F. Potts. When Mr. Potts joined the Union forces during the Civil War Mr. Tripp stayed to run the office. He was appointed, unbeknownst to him, by Gov. Tod as draft-master for the county. When the appointment came he did his job and drafted men from each township. He took about one hundred men to Camp Mansfield and another 25 to various other locations.  Upon his return Gov. Tod wanted Mr. Tripp to accept a lieutenant’s commission to which Mr. Tripp declined claiming his inflammatory rheumatism would prevent him of being of proper service. His four brothers did however join.

He continued in the law practice with various partners and in 1881 purchased from S. J. Cameron the other half interest in the Free Press.  He spent two days a week helping with the editing of the paper until his death.