Union Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Introduction

Located in the south central part of the county, this township and its boundary lines were officially formed by the
Carroll County Commissioners at their first meeting held at the home of David J. Levy in Carrollton, March 5, 1833.

Having originally been part of Harrison County, with four and a half sections off the west side of Madison Township (now Lee) And bounded on the south by North Township (now Perry) it came to be part of Carroll when the county was formed. In June 1833 the commissioners rearranged again and took two half sections on the east and gave them back to Lee and two half sections on the south and gave them back to Perry thus straightening the township lines. The name Union came from the fact that it was a union of more than one other township.   The earliest pioneers to settle in the township came from the District of Fermanagh and Donegal County in Ireland. Because of so many Irish settlers, the area was called “Little Ireland”.

One-room School House at Petersburg - 2009One-room Schoolhouse at Petersburg - 2009

Population

The following census data gives the population of Union Township and % of county population through the years:

1840     889     4.9 1920     513      3.3                        2000     1,059  3.7
1850     805     4.6  1930     432     3.2  2010
1860     666     4.2    1940     497     2.8  
1870     609     4.2  1950     515     2.7  
1880     684     4.2 1960     460     2.2  
1890     653     3.7    1970     482     2.2  
1900     578     3.4  1980     830     3.2  
1910     513     3.2 1990     900     3.4  

Township Officials