Perry Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Villages

Perrysville was platted January 28, 1835 by Mahlon Stewart on his 464 acre farm. It was surveyed by Van Brown. The first addition was recorded on October 20, 1846 and it consisted of 40 lots.  Eleven additional lots were platted March 19, 1847 by Mahlon Stewart and recorded as Stewarts #2 on March 22, 1847.  The town is nine miles south of Carrollton.

When entering Perrysville from Carrollton, a pond can be seen at the bottom of a hill below the Historic Church cemetery. Near this pond was the site of Mahlon Stewart’s first home. It was a log house and later, once a bigger home was built, the log house was used as a church. There was a large spring in the location and most likely why the pond was developed years later.

This village was quite populous and had several businesses for many years before the railroad passed through other parts of the county. From doctors, general stores, drug store, restaurant, wagon maker, blacksmith, cobbler, tannery and a hotel.

       

Sadly, a fire the night of February 2, 1910 destroyed many of those businesses. The fire was believed to have started by the owners of a fabric store. The owners were seen going to their store and leaving just a short time later. It wasn’t long before townspeople saw flames coming from the building. The fire was fought by a bucket brigade which was formed from the bottom of the hill at the intersection of State Routes 164 and 332 to the fire. Buildings on lots 19, 20, 25, 26 & 32 were destroyed. The town rebuilt and thrived until the 1930’s when the Great Depression forced the closing of most of the local businesses.

Post Office

 For a time, Jacob Gladden, Sr., kept a post office on his farm and called it Hickory.  The name coming from the many admirers of Andrew Jackson whose nickname was “Old Hickory”.

 There were very few letters that passed through the mail in those days and the office was only visited about once every two weeks. The main mail delivered were newspapers from Cadiz and Carrollton, those being the Cadiz Sentinel and The Carrollton Picayune. According to the Post Office Department in the National Archives, a post office was established in Perrysville April 25, 1848 with Alexander Johnston as postmaster.

              Post Office with M E Church

 

To differentiate  Perrysville in Carroll County fromPerrysville in Ashland County, the post office here was called, Lamartine. Once the Lamartine post office was established, the Hickory office closed and Jacob Gladden, Jr. became post master at Lamartine. Several others followed as postmaster and the last known was David W. Barnhouse who kept the mail in his general store. When rural routes began serving the area, the post office closed in February 1954.

Palermo was platted July 17, 1838 by George K. McCaskey. Once it was okayed by the County Surveyor, Van Brown, the plat was recorded August 11, 1838. In 1884, Peter Herold said of the town, “This town is not of much importance from a commercial point of view, and a quarter section of good land was badly spoiled by locating a town here. This hamlet is situated 8 miles south of Carrollton. Population, 15.” Despite Mr. Herold’s glum description of this village, it somehow managed to thrive for quite some time. S. T. Allen had a general store, was a black smith and the post master. George K. McCaskey, the founder, had an inn while Thomas Moreland and Harvey Scott were both stock dealers.

 Other Settlements

Two other places in the township are really non-existent, outside of the locals, who live there. They are separated by fictitious boundary lines and known as Arabia and Navengal Hollow. How did they get these names? It started at the close of the Civil War when prohibition was reaching its height. Many locals discovered that disposing of surplus corn and rye was more profitable to be turned into distilled liquors instead of hauling them miles over bad roads and to an uncertain market. One of these illegal stills was found by an Assessor of the Internal Revenue for the county while he was making a visit. On the Sell’s farm he found a small still and tub of sour mash. He immediately reported this to headquarters. It was reported as being in Navengal Hollow. He most likely figured out the location from watching the frequency of local farmers going away from the place with a grain sack thrown over an old horse with a little brown jug in one end of the sack with an equal size stone in the other. The whiskey made there was known as “Hoopengarner’s Whiskey” and well-known throughout the area.

The other area, Arabia was the only place where an actual saloon was attempted. Despite the many illegal stills, many residents were part of the prohibition movement. When a proprietor tried to open a saloon at the crossroads in Arabia he was thrown in jail for three months and his customers forced to go somewhere else. It’s likely the names of these two places came about so they could be found.

Stoney Lake is not a town or village, but was developed along the McGuire Creek which feeds the south fork of Leesville lake today. Five men cleared the brush and trees from the area and then the “bowl” was made with a hand held slip scraper pulled by a mule and guided by a man. A club was organized in Carrollton to govern the lake. Robert Busby, of Cadiz, was hired as the contractor. He and his sons, Roy and Pat, stayed at the Kirby Hotel in Perrysville while doing the work.

Once the lake was finished it was stocked with blue gill, crappies, and bass several times. The lots around the lake were first sold to the stockholders. They got to pick their lot by drawing a number from a hat at their organizational meeting. Each lot was $100. Once all the stockholders had a lot, the remaining lots were sold as individual sales. They weren’t required to build, but had to keep the lot cleared.

The first cottage built was pre-cut. The owners were Fred and Mae Shannon of Steubenville. He was an undertaker there. They, along with their two daughters, Katherine and Ruthie, would arrive in a chauffered  limosine along with their maid. The family would stay through the ‘warm season’ with the lake caretaker delivering groceries and milk each week.

There was also a club house at the lake built of logs, with a wallboard finished interior. There was a kitchen and living room downstairs with two bedrooms upstairs.

A similar area to that of Stoney Lake is Vo-Ash Lake which is just a few miles east of Stoney. It is a man-made lake that was built in 1958 by Charles Voshel and Al Ashbaugh of Carrollton. The lake is private with many of the homes still occupied. The overflow portion of the lake was rebuilt in the late 1990’s.