Perry Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Schools

Six one room schools were located in Perry Township.

Perrysville School first sat on the northwest corner of Dial Road and State Route 332. It was later moved to the northwest corner of State Route 332 and State Route 164. The building sat parallel to Rt. 164. This school was
 burned in the summer of 1934.

Perrysville (One Rm)-1925-26

1st Row-Jerry Leggett, Archie Moyer, Harold ‘Pete’ Leggett, Don Davis, Glenn McIntosh, Wilmer Dennis, Bill Walters, Howard Dennis, Edgar Capper, Doris Flory, Elmer Moyer, Bob Carrick.

2nd-Louise Umpheby, Alberta Patterson (Beatty), Wilma McIntosh (Scott), Leona Umpleby (Haugh), Annie Patterson (Burton), Charlotte Keck (Gotchall), Helen Davis, Mary Emery, Wilma Tope (Longsworth), Esther McIntosh (Butterfield) (Kelley), Bessie Gotchall (Webb), Martha Emery (Snively), Elma McIntosh, Francis Patterson (Lucas), Ruby Walters (Logan), Phyillis Cogsil, Leila Stewart (McKinney), Wilma Kelley (Gotshall/Goodwin), Wanda Dennis, Thelma Emery (Smith)

Arabia School was at the northeast corner of the intersection of Aster and Alamo Roads.
This school was burned in the summer of 1934. (Not Pictured)

 

 

Mingo School
was east of 1319 Amsterdam Rd. SE

Butterfield School was 100 yards southwest of the intersection of Amsterdam and Desert Roads, just south of the cemetery.

Mt. Olivet Church shown
in the back left.

 

  

Navengal School was near 6861 Desert Road. It was later called Rock Springs. This school was burned in the summer of 1934.

 Stonebrook School sat at the intersection of Diamond and Chalon Roads. When the school closed, it was moved to the site of the high school in Perrysville. It was later moved to Lot 7 in Stewart’s #1 Addition.

         Chalon & Diamond Rd       

                     Stonebrook 2010

Section 16 of Perry Township, the school land, was disposed of in 1848. The following notice was given concerning this section: “Notice is hereby given to the legal voters of township 13, of range 6 (Steubenville Land District) that there will be an election held in said original surveyed township at the home of James Forbes, Jr., on the first day of March, A. D. 1848, between the hours of ten o’clock, a. m. and four o’clock, p.m. of said day, for the purpose of taking a vote for or against the sale of Section 16 in said township.  Signed, Joseph Masters, John Easterday Trustees of Sec. 16" A vote was held and on January 25, 1848 it was announced that 33 votes polled in favor of selling the land and one vote polled for no. The proceedings were sworn to before William B. Woodward, Justice of the Peace. Charles Fawcett, Peter Pittenger and John Thorley were appraisers, and the land sold on the March 30, 1849. The sale was recorded by the Auditor, after his entry of the Common Pleas Court proceedings. The auction was advertised in the Picayune. A Robert Anderson purchased the northeast quarter for $1700, Martin Lee the northwest quarter for $1769, James Forbes, Jr. the southwest quarter for $1512 and the southeast quarter to John Easterday for $1537. The sum total arising from the sale of this section of land being $6,518, minus the cost, is on deposit in the State Treasury drawing six percent interest in favor of the schools of the township, which are in a prosperous condition.

         

In 1921 a three year high school was established in Perrysville by D. L. Buchanan, the County Superintendent of Schools. Classes were first held in the township hall and the first commencement was May 2, 1923. There were three graduates: Byron Shotwell, Georgiana Hendricks and Mildred Tope. 

 

An early school bus at Stoney Lake

 

In 1927 a new school building was erected. There were no roads to the school at that time, only paths.

 In 1934 the six one-r00m grade schools were consolidated and brought to the brick school. In protest to this 5 men burned Rock Springs, Perrysville and Arabia Schools. They spent one year in prison for their crime.  

             Perrysville High School

               Read the newpaper article

           
The 1934 Board of Education included Robert Davis, Harry Scott, Sidney R. Butterfield, William H. Kelly and C. W. Kail. The Clerk was Harvey S. Gotschall.

In September of 1951, the high school students were sent to Scio. Grades 1 - 8 remained at the Perrysville School. The Perry Local School District was closed December 31, 1967 and on January 1, 1968 it was made part of the Carrollton Exempted Village School District. In the fall of 1968 high school students began attending Carrollton.  Then in 1969 seventh and eighth graders were also sent to Carrollton.

The building remained a grade school until 1971. The building was then closed for good as a school. On February 22, 1973 it was purchased by Richard Hornberger who remodeled the building into apartments.

 An Alumni banquet is held in May each year, usually at the Perry Township Grange Hall, usually prepared by the Women’s Club or one of the Churches Women’s Group. After the high school was closed the banquets became smaller and smaller in attendance, until it was decided to hold a family picnic. In 1979 a motion was made at the Annual Picnic to change the affair into a Perrysville School Reunion and include anyone who had an attachment to the school. The increase in attendance has been gratifying over the last few years.

      A 1982 Reunion Reading of Special Interest