Perry Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Early Inhabitants

Since this township was originally a part of Harrison County it is difficult to say who the first settlers were. According to some of the older history books there were quite a few early pioneers who started farms here. One such family was that of Peter and Elizabeth Rutan. In the year 1818, Peter and Elizabeth with their six children moved from Fayette County, Pennsylvania to what was then Harrison County. Of their six children was their son Alexander. He married Sarah Wortman and on August 16, 1843 they became the parents of David. David would go on to the Rural Seminary at Harlem Springs for the winter of 1864-1865 and then enlisted in the military. He returned in 1867 to complete his education at Scio College. The Rutans had another son, named James, who also served in the military during the Civil War. He enlisted as a volunteer from Pennsylvania and was commissioned a first lieutenant. After the war he served three years as State Senator from Pennsylvania, six years as United States marshal and four years as collector at the Port of Pittsburgh. Later he was appointed consul at Florence, Italy, by President Grant, but refused the appointment. A third son, Samuel, served in the Ninety-eighth O. V. I. and served as a sergeant until he was wounded at Chickamauga.

Another early family was that of the Tiptons. Miles Tipton was born in Pennsylvania in 1809 and came with his parents to Harrison County Ohio during the War of 1812. Later the farm would become a part of Perry Township in Carroll County. Miles’ wife was Susanna Ross. Her father came to the area from Ireland after serving as pay-master in the War of 1812. She too was born in Pennsylvania and it is said her parents came to the US from Ireland by the way of Germany.

The Kirby family is probably one of the most recognized in Perry Township and had an early part in the township’s history. Joseph Kirby married Catherine Anderson and had eight children. Joseph served in the War of 1812 and became a cripple. He died in Bedford County, Pennsylvania in 1822 and so his widow packed up the eight children and moved to what is now Carroll County. There, their son Ephraim met and married Elizabeth Bear. Elizabeth was thedaughter of Jacob and Mary Walters Bear.  

          Kirby Family Reunion 1927      taken outside of the Kirby Hotel

The Bear family moved to Ohio in 1813,twenty years before Carroll County was formed.

At the time the land was mostly wilderness and they had to contend with Native Americans, bears, wolves and other wild animals.

Oddly enough, this township seemed to have a number of doctors in its midst. To look at the area now, it’s surprising to believe there were even towns of any significance.            

From 1824 to 1907, the area of McGuire Creek (on Bramble Road) was home to the county’s first doctor. His name was Dr. Andrew J. Scott and he and his wife, Jane, reared 10 children. Sadly, six passed away from tuberculosis.

One of the best known doctors was Hiram Tope. Hiram’s grandfather, George, built the first grist mill in Union Township and helped found Petersburg. George’s son Henry was a gunsmith by trade and in June 1836 he married Catharine Croghan who was also a native of Carroll County. In 1849 Henry and Catharine were living in Peru, Illinois when a cholera epidemic overcame them both and the two died within days of each other. Needless to say, their children were sent back to Ohio to live with Grandpa George. At that time, George Tope was living in New Hagerstown. Hiram was only six years old. At the age of nineteen Hiram went to Columbus, Ohio where he studied
medicine for four years, even teaching at some intervals to help pay for his education. He graduated and practiced medicine in western Ohio for one year. Then he returned to Perrysville. He served his country during the Civil War as Surgeon on the field. When he once again returned to Perrysville, Dr. Tope brought with him his warhorse, Julia. Dr. Tope practiced medicine in Perrysville for forty years. He had a drugstore  there until it was destroyed by fire in 1910. His son, Ulysses also became a doctor and took over the practice and built a new drug store which is now a residence on Lot 32. Hiram married Mary Shultz and they also had a son named Cadmus who became a school teacher in Carrollton. He was also the co-owner of the Tope & Beamer Hardware which later became Widder’s Hardware on
West Main St.













Julia with Ulysses I. Tope holding Flag
 
Blanket has a listing of all the battlefields he served

Like most of the county, Perry Township had at least one grist-mill. Three miles east of Perrysville, was the farm of the Amos family. Benjamin Amos moved to this location from Maryland. He and his wife Charity Webb Amos built a grist-mill with a mill race one mile long.  The Amos family also ran a general country store which made them one of the more prominent families in the area.

 1840 Census-Head of Households