Augusta Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Villages

Jacob Brown built a log cabin about 1809 approximately 200 yards southeast of the intersection of what are now Andora Road and State Route 9. This property was later owned by H. M. Shaw and was the location of a nursery. The names of several Brown families are shown as property owners in the vicinity; so, in 1811, when Jacob Brown laid out a portion of this village, it was first called Brownsville. Later that year he sold the first lot to Mr. Rigglesworth. The first buildings in Augusta were a new house built in 1813 and the Pottorf Hotel built in 1815. The first business was Moreledge’s General Store, which sold all sorts of merchandise needed by the early settlers. Another store was opened in 1817 by A. Hayes. The original lots fronting on Market Street were sixty feet in front and one hundred eighty feet deep and those on Main Street were sixty feet in front and one hundred sixty feet deep. Both Main and Market Streets were sixty feet wide. These original lots sold for ten to twenty dollars each.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A033031  - Looking West  1908

In 1803 Matthew Crawford came to Washington County, Pennsylvania from County Donegal, Ireland, with his son William and their families.  In 1820, Matthew came to Augusta Township with his three sons. Each son received one hundred sixty acres of land through the United States Land Office. Early township settlers were Samuel Wass(1821), James Rowley(1822), Thomas McMillon(1825), Stephen Manfull (1826), Chris Johnson (1832), Henry Johnson (1832), Roger Morledge (1832), and William Wrigglesworth (1827). In 1837, William Wrigglesworth sold the southeast quarter of Section 15, in Township 15, Range 5 to George Manfull and his wife, Mary, except two lots to Henry Saunders, one lot to Charles Hays, one lot to William Clinton for a graveyard, twelve acres to Stephen Manfull and the original plot of Augusta. This was 143 acres more or less. George and Mary Manfull remained until the farm was sold to Jehu Manfull. Jehu sold to George Manfull, George to Paul J. Manfull, Paul to Clair L. Manfull. Today, this is being operated by John and JoAnn Scherr (the sixth generation). The Manfull’s sell fruit and vegetables raised on their farm at a roadside market, also on the farm. Jennifer Kiko (a seventh generation Manfull) sells antiques, primitives and country items in her shop adjoining the farm market.

Other early businesses, which came to this small village, were James Gaston and William Higby, and the Manfull Brothers in the late 1820’s or early 1830’s. George Manfull opened a second store on the northwest corner of the square about 1834, which was sold in 1837 by James Rowley to Thomas Kinsey who later sold to John Manfull in 1854. It was sold by Chris Manfull and Jonathan Milbourn as executors of John Manfull to Frances Culp in 1864. It was operated as T. B. Culp’s Mammoth Dry Goods Emporium through the 1870’s. George Manfull sold to Levi Marshall. (This must have been his first store.) Marshall sold to Stephen Wilson.

Augusta grew in size beyond the limits of the original plat and a new plat was laid out on June 17, 1859 on the south half of Section 15, township 15, range 5. George Cans came to Augusta in 1869 and formed a partnership with T. J. Crawford and Albert Heston. They opened a General Store where Jim Brice later had a garage at 8057 Kensington Rd NE. Then Crawford bought out Heston. Vanemon A. Manfull became a partner and the store was then known as Crawford, Gans and Manfull.

 
A079074 - Original Crawford Store
In 1879, they purchased all the Dry Goods stock from T. B. Culp, leased the large storeroom and moved to the new location. In 1884, Crawford, Gans and Manfull bought T. B. Culp’s property. In September 1886, Mr. Manfull passed away. After this, it was Crawford and Gans. In 1889, they had a Dry Goods Store, Men’s Clothing Store and Hardware. After 2o years of business, they decided to divide their operation. Crawford took the Dry Goods Store and building. Gans took the Men’s clothing, hardware and buildings. Crawford operated the T. J. Crawford Store until 1891. After his death, his sons Edgar and William operated the store for many years. 

John Dowling, George Gans, H. B. Manfull, H. McGrannahan, Perry Caldwell, Anna Smith, Mr. and Mrs. B. K. Cunningham and William Sheckler assisted in running the store. The store had a millinery department operated and assisted by Miss Mitzel, Janet Sweeney, Mary Huey, Ina Huey, and Myrtle Thomas at various times. There were seventy buildings by 1892 in addition to the business.

In the 1870’s and 1880’s, several Carroll County people called Augusta “the Hub”. Around 1903, Edgar Crawford was elected Ohio State Senator from this district. William Crawford ran the store and then his widow, Ina Crawford, until it was sold to Ralph McCartney in 1944. After his death, the store was purchased by Denton Locke, the last owner to have a store in the building. In a room adjoining the Crawford and Gans General Store, George Gans operated a men’s clothing store in the 1880’s and 1890’s. The Masons later had their Lodge in the room. “Ben” Manfull also had a clothing store for six years, probably at this site.  
A034031
In 1900, a doorway was installed between the two rooms and Crawford’s store and the clothing store were combined. 

In 1873, the Masons and Odd Fellows built new two story buildings on Main Street and used the second story for their meetings and leased the first floor for storefronts. Mr. Cunningham leased one for a hardware store and a General Store was set up in the second one by Ashbrook and Turnipseed.  Apparently, Ashbrook sold to Turnipseed because Mr. Cunningham purchased all the stock of D. B. Turnipseed early in 1885. Cunningham, then, had both stores and put in a new line of dry goods and added a millinery. Nellie Curtis was in charge of the millinery department.

In 1886 or 1887, Len Cunningham sold to his brother Richard who operated both stores and added a jewelry line and men’s ready made and tailored suits. J. Clark Etling was his cutter and tailor. On February 12, 1888, a fire was discovered in the wareroom of the Odd Fellows block and shortly in the Masons block on the same lot. All the buildings and contents on the lot were lost. The house on the east side of the lot was completely destroyed by falling walls. The loss was estimated at $30,000.00 and thought to be caused by arson.

A035031Street View  1913

Lemuel Stockman came to Augusta in the early 1880’s and started a grocery store and also operated a barbershop. His wife and daughter helped in the store. News of January 1885 stated Frank Fleming moved his barbershop to Stockman’s store and planned to teach Stockman barbering. After Stockman’s death, his daughter and son-in-law, Charles Thomas, ran the store before selling to George Leatherberry. Lew Myers did the barbering for a while until Charles Leatherberry, who had started in the Rutledge building, joined his father and operated the barbershop. Eventually, Charlie remodeled the store and added meats, confections and other items and ran the store with his family until his death. After this, Seth Owen operated a Hardware here for a while.

In 1889, D.H. and J. W. Rutledge (the Rutledge brothers) purchased the Odd Fellows lot and built a two-story building. The first floor housed a General Store and the second floor was town hall. Later, J. W. moved and D. H. ran the store. He bought farm produce and poultry, which he shipped to John who sold it through a commission house. After a time, they switched places. In 1896, Rutledge brothers sold or leased the store to A. H. Myers and M. S. Milbourne. Myers ran the store with help from his son and Samuel Crawford. Lulu Long ran the millinery department. September 1898, Myers and Milbourne sold to Rutledge brothers and they closed the store January 1899. Frank Brannon ran a hardware and general store in the building for several years. His daughters helped and did the millinery work. In 1905, Douglas Hunter opened a hardware in the building.

In 1908, J. W. Rutledge and D. V. Manfull opened a general store in the building where Gans, Crawford and Heston had their store in 1869. They later moved to the Rutledge building. (Mr. Hunter had sold the stock and moved.) Later Manfull sold to Mr. Rutledge who continued to operate for several years. Frank Manfull and his wife ran the store for a while. J. W. Rutledge was also a funeral director. After many years in Augusta, he moved to Minerva with his family and operated the Rutledge Funeral Home there.

 These men had general stores, groceries or confectionary stores at later times: Charles Leatherberry, John Davis, Mr. Gherheim, W. Ferguson, Joseph George, Ed McKee, Lee Finley and Nick Lavkulick.

When Crawford and Gans divided their operations, George Gans owned the hardware in the Brice Building. He sold to Frank Brannon and William Kennedy in 1893. About 1895, Brannon and Kennedy sold to John Thomas and his sons, Charles and Thomas. After a fire damaged the building, Thomas and his sons moved the store to the McLean building and operated a hardware there for a time until they sold to Simeon Ashbrook, who continued to operate the hardware until 1904 when that building burned.

 
 
  A078074 - The Brice Building 

Carl Walters had a garage and machine shop on the north side of Main Street (west) in the Brice garage building.  Frank Geffert had a filling station opposite on the south side. Harry Brown and his father, Harry, had a hardware east of the Stone House at 8074 Kensington Rd NE. Many businesses have came and gone in this village over the years. Some of them were shoemakers, wagon makers, clock and watch repair, tin shop, roofing and spouting, restaurants, grocery stores, meat markets, pool rooms, barber shops, hotels, steam powered mill, saw and planning mills, basket factory and broom making, print shops, furniture stores, shoe repair, drug stores, handle factory and fruit and vegetable growers and nurseries. There were several livery and feed stables and blacksmith shops in Augusta. Changing times and modes of transportation have had their effect on commerce on local levels. In 2010 the only businesses in the village are a family run produce stand and country, primitive and antiques shop, and a tax service. There is also a post office, two churches and an elementary school.

The doctors of Augusta were: Dr. Blackledge, Dr. Westfall, Dr. J. B. Roach, Dr. Frank Laughlin, Dr. Thomas Crawford, Dr. William Leiper, Dr. J. A. Rhiel, and Dr. Jos. Laughlin. Others who practiced by making house calls to the township areas were: Dr. George Patterson, Dr. Thomas, Dr. McHenry and Dr. Robert Long.

Several bands were organized at various times. A drum and bugle corps was organized in the 1890’s. In the early 1900’s another band was organized and they met to practice in the Brice Garage building. Many people would come to town on Saturday evening and the band would often play on the square by the light of a torch that someone held. There were several school bands due to the fact that music was taught in high school as well as lower grades. For a while, there was a “toy band” in the elementary grades at the school with the students playing fifes, drums and various percussion instruments while dressed in caps and capes for performances. For a while, there was a “toy band” in the elementary grades at the school with the students playing fifes, drums and various percussion instruments while dressed in caps and capes for performances.

 

A110074

1st Row-Robert Draher, Martha Kupick, Ernest Leatherberry, Lorn Brown, Thomas Lucas, Evelyn Leatherberry, Edward Richard, Mary Jean Richard, Bobby Leatherberry.
2nd-Cary Manfull, Evelyn Sheckler, Edward Sanor, Esther Lozier, June Guthrie, Lucille Oyer, Jimmy Dolly.
3rd-Sarah Manfull, Martha Kandel, June Wright, Robert Donaldson, Orin Jay Herriington, Mildred Donaldson, Vera Leatherberry, Dorothy Dolly.
4th-Dorothy Hawkins, Charles Walter, Yvette Draher, Lloyd Leatherberry, Dorothy Arnold, Marjorie Hawk.

Post Office

Mail was delivered with horses or mules pulling a cart, buggy or mail wagon. In extremely bad weather, it was carried on horseback. It was in this manner mail was carried from Kensington to Augusta. In the 1880’s, there was a tri-weekly mail route from Carrollton to Kensington for several years. Ellsworth Harsh was given a contract for this route for four years beginning March 4, 1887. After the railroad was built, the mail was carried from Augusta Station (at Pattersonville) and continued until it was delivered by truck. In February 1902, rural free delivery routes were established facilitating the delivery of mail to the major portion of the rural population. This was considered one of the greatest improvements of that time. As time went by and roads were much improved, horses with their carts, buggies and wagons were replaced by automobiles and six-day delivery became the norm.

 

A028031

 Augusta

                         (Originally established in Columbiana County)

Joseph Fleming

Postmaster

07/03/1828

        Discontinued  

 

07/05/1829

        Reestablished   

 

04/12/1830

Joseph Gaston

Postmaster

04/12/1830

Roger Morledge

Postmaster

04/06/1832

  Changed to Carroll County

in December 1832

 

William Clinton

 

04/25/1835

Alexander McLean

Postmaster

10/14/1851

Almon L Iden

Postmaster

12/04/1897

Charles F Caldwell

Postmaster

04/10/1914

James A Crook

Acting Postmaster

02/09/1918

James A Crook

Postmaster

06/25/1918

Mrs Emma Kinsey

Acting Postmaster

09/17//1921

Mrs Emma Kinsey

Postmaster

10/12/1921

Charles W Leatherberry

Acting Postmaster

12/31/1945

Thomas L Kinsey

Postmaster

02/24/1947

Mrs Donna J Tucker

Officer-In-Charge

06/30/1972

Mrs Donna J Tucker

Postmaster

11/25/1972

Jane Marie Jeffery

Officer-In-Charge

09/21/1992

Susan J Jackson

Postmaster

01/22/1994

Judy Hite

Officer-In-Charge

05/25/2001

Jeanette Emmons

Officer-In-Charge

06/08/2001

 Susan J Jackson’s surname

changed to Kudro

10/20/ 2001

Karen S Weingart

Officer-In-Charge

06/12/2002

Joyce D Wilson

Officer-In-Charge

10/09/2003

Joyce D Wilson

Postmaster

11/29/2003

Karen Weingart

Officer-In-Charge

01/28/2005

Lisa Ann Gomer

Officer-In-Charge

04/19/2005

Jonell Sell    

Officer-In-Charge

01/17/2007

     

 
A100028

Pattersonville

Pattersonville was platted in 1907 by George S. Patterson. The Patterson house is located northeast of Pattersonville at 7175 Abbey Road NE. This is a two and half story brick house built about 1840. The window sills and lintels are stone. There is a 1920’s porch. The rear section has a kitchen with end chimney. In addition to the Pattersonville Telephone Company there was a railroad station, stockyards, warehouse, Grange,creamery, general store with gas pump and home to the post office, and a feed mill.   
  A075074 - The Patterson Home 

 John Rutledge and M. O. Leyda moved the creamery from Specht. It was operated as a creamery for a few years, then as a skimming operation. Rutledge later bought Leyda out and he operated it for a time and then sold to George Leatherberry. Jacob Leatherberry operated it for several years before George Leatherberry sold to Andalusia Dairy. Homer Arnold then operated the creamery until it ceased operations. It was abandoned and torn down.

 After the railroad was built, December 17, 1890, a post office was established at Pattersonville with Annie Cassidy serving as postmaster. Harry McLain, the next post master also had a general store. March 15, 1905, Frank Patterson became post master and keeper of the general store. The old Whole Bark school building was moved to Pattersonville by J. C. Patterson and J. J. Burtsfield and used for a wool house. Shortly after that, H. A. McLean bought and moved the building again for use as a store and living quarters. After he became the second post master, the post office was also in this building. Roy Best followed in these capacities February 26, 1909 and October 3, 1928, Harry Henry followed in his footsteps until October 31, 1957 when the post office was discontinued and mail was delivered as rural route #1 Minerva. The store was closed when Mr. Henry retired in 1964.

The last remaining business (2010) is the Pattersonville Telephone Company. It was started as a farmer’s cooperative about 1903, by a group of local citizens to get phones to

  A095028            Telepone Co.

   A094074        Looking West  2010

as many local people as possible. Pattersonville was the hub where the switchboard and exchange were placed. L. D. Wilson and his family owned and operated the company after taking possession in 1937 until selling it to Scott and Nelva Toot in 1971. The Toots then turned the physical work over to their grandson. They have gradually switched to the modern devices needed to provide call waiting, three-way calling and caller identification as well as 911 and DSL Service.

 Other Settlements

 Specht

Col. Bouquet and his men camped at this site, which would become Specht, on their journey from Fort Pitt to the Muskingum Valley. William F. Specht, eldest of seven children, was born in 1863 near Cadiz, Ohio. William bought 6.75 acres of land in Section 34, Township 15, Range 5 from John Patterson who resided in the old stone house built by John Herrington. The deed shows December 1, 1899 as the purchase date with $270.00 as the price paid to the Patterson’s.                              
  A076074 - Specht Store 

 In 1893,  several local residents joined in a venture to build a creamery and cheese plant. They made an attempt to make a dug well but due to quick sand, they came up with another solution to the need for a water supply. They decided to pipe water from the strong spring west of the road across what is now Andora Rd.

  This spring, under a giant oak tree, had a stonewall in the bank behind it. Prior to this there was another creamery about one fourth mile distant for a short time. Due to financial circumstances, Specht decided to move the Gold Spring Creamery further north, away from the railroad tracks, and add business rooms for a store and living quarters. The creamery building became a part of the home. Some memories of Will Specht are his grey, neatly groomed hair and white moustache, gold-rimmed glasses and dark colored suits, which accentuated his tall frame. His dry wit and humor endeared him to the local residents.
A096074  - Specht is just and intersection in 2010  

He was post master for 17 years, was probate judge of Carroll County for 7 years and Justice of the Peace for several years. He was actively involved as a member of Herrington Bethel Methodist Church and chairman of the Carroll County draft board during the First World War.  He faced some opposition at the time because he was of German descent. In 1902, he went to Germany with his mother for a three month visit to relatives. It has been stated that he brought pine trees home in his suitcase, which he planted on the hill between the store and the church. Some of these trees or their offspring survive today.

In a large room above the store, Saturday night dances and parties were held. A large balcony, reached by a wide outside stairs led to the entrance. Community oyster suppers were held there after shipping oysters became safe due to better and speedier transportation and means of keeping them cool. There was cold spring water and an ice house here to keep perishables cold. The focal point of the store room was a big potbellied stove in the center of the room; especially in winter when the locals came in from the cold and lingered to swap neighborhood stories. Merchandise included various food supplies, hardware and supplies as well as tailored clothes, shoes and boots.

This writer remembers anticipation of going in the door and directly to the long counter on the left side, lined with glass jars filled with candy, chewing gum and cookies. (This would have been later after Charlie and Zelpha Marshall kept the store.) There were sometimes auctions at the store and new farm machinery for sale in the field area. A gas pump was installed on the southeast corner where Arbor, Andora and Savior roads meet and Freedom Oil Gasoline was sold. In 1918, the cost of five gallons would be about $1.40.

There was a sawmill on the west side of the road where barrel staves were made. A great deal of lumber and the staves were loaded into railroad cars at the Specht siding. The staves were shipped to distilleries. Mr. Specht also shipped oil from one successful well that was drilled nearby. Many wells were drilled but were unsuccessful because of quick sand. On November 5, 1938, Will Specht died of a stroke after being in ill health for about two years. In 1939, Specht sold the store and land to Thomas F. Adset of Minerva. The general merchandise store was carried on in a smaller scale by the following owners:  Charles and Zelpha Marshall, Franklin Hosterman, Homer E. Wolf and Harry E. Bellamy. The store was destroyed by fire on May 18, 1961.

 **Some segments above as written by Taylor C.,Woodward, 1967