Augusta Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Schools

In building our nation, when it was new, our forefathers knew that education was essential in the sound construction of judgements and opinions. Being mindful of this, they made provision for the establishment of schools throughout the country. In 1785, Congress passed an ordinance that Section 16 or one-thirty sixth of every township would be reserved from sale for the maintenance of schools within the township. When Ohio was admitted to the Union in 1803, school lands already reserved were granted to the State, to be used by the legislature to maintain public schools of the township, which was an endowment of 704,000 acres. For many years, schools were sustained principally by private subscription and by rate bills paid by the parents of the children who attended the schools. Subjects commonly taught were reading, writing, and arithmetic. Examination of teachers before they were employed started in 1825. As late as 1838, law required they be examined in reading, writing, and arithmetic. Other subjects were added later. Some schools prohibited teaching any other subjects except these at this time.

Augusta Friends School

The earliest records that have been found for a school in this area are for the Augusta Friends School built in 1810 at the site of the Quaker Ridge Cemetary which is about 3 miles north of Augusta on Andora Road where Starling Road joins it. This is on the border of Section 34 of West Township, Columbiana County and Section 2 of Augusta Township, Carroll County. Nathan Pim was the school master.

The first law passed authorizing a tax for support of schools was in 1821, but it was not compulsory. John D. Patterson built a school on his farm near Pattersonville early in the 1850's and taught a three month term private school there for which he received $13.00 in wages. Lewis Pim, Sr. had a private school in his home early in the history of the township and employed others to teach. Albert Grimes had a subscription school in Augusta at an early date and Mary Pim taught a private school in her home in 1870-71. It was at this time that her husband, Asa Pim, taught at the public school.

In 1878-1880 Prof. T. B. Sawvel was a principal of a select school in Augusta. In addition to the ordinary subjects taught at the time, music was also taught including vocal and instrumental, piano, organ and violin. A Miss Morrow  was a principal of a select school in Augusta in the late 1880's. Prof. A.M. Fishel had been a principal of Carrollton schools and Magnolia, as well as several select schools in the county, and was principal of Augusta in the mid 1890's. Several of his students started successful careers as teachers shortly thereafter. When the schools were centralized, we had the following districts:

District No. 1 or Stonepile was a stone schoolhouse built at an early date by William Kennedy, a stonemason and farmer living in that district, who had come over from County Downe, Ireland, at the age of 13. When the third school was built it replaced the second which was close to the same location on the west side of Andora Rd__miles south of the Meter Rd/Andora Rd intersection. Site pictured it as of 2010. The first early school, located about 3/4 mile southeast of the others, was also built at a very early date, and was then known as Permar School.

District No. 2 -- Dewey Hall District has had four known schools. Two schoolhouses near the same location approximately six miles north of Carrollton. One was called Big Brown and the other Little Brown.  A deed is on record of the buying of a plot of land, by the directors for the purpose of building a school in 1846. It was located approximately one-half mile southeast of the others. The last, or forth schoolhouse, was built at 6070 Kensington Rd NE about 1896. The same period that Admiral Dewey became a hero by destroying the Spanish Fleet in Manila Bay without losing a man. They decided to change the name of the new school house to Dewey Hall in honor of Admiral Dewey. After its closing, in the 1930's, the building was moved and rebuilt into a dwelling at 3147 Germano Rd SE.

District No. 3 - Memories of Whole Bark School, written by Frank R. Patterson, was formerly known as District No. 3.  The ground for the school, located on Whole Bark Creek, was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Beatty about 1830 who were the great grandparents of the Price family. It is thought there must have been a school establishment before that time. The first building was made of logs; the second a frame building. It was not plastered and the blackboard consisted of two wide boards fastened together and painted black. Sometime after 1884 this was replaced with the third building with plastered walls and a slate blackboard. Until recently, it was the residence of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Boord and family. It was purchased by Mrs. Boord's father, J. Howard Mangun, who in about 1939 moved it several hundred feet west of its original location and remodeled it into a dwelling at 7257 Lotus Rd NE. The first frame building was moved to Pattersonville, where it was first used to store wool by John Burtsfield. Later it was converted into a dwelling with a store room in front, by Harry McLain. The name "Whole Bark" came from a tannery located at the head of the valley that used the whole bark of the trees instead of the customary grinding of it to use for the tanning of hides in the making of leather.

District No. 4 -Muddy Fork, being near the end of Lower Muddy Fork Valley  from which it derives its name, has had two known schoolhouses near the same location. The first school was located on the east side of the road on the farm originally settled by the James Moreledge family, later owned by J. Alexander and now by John D. Howlett. Near the first school house was a dam and old mill pond used for a saw mill. The children skated there in the winter. The site is marked by a swamp. A portion of the dam can still be seen. The second building, located at the opposite side of the road at 9205 Malibu Rd NE, replaced the first building on the farm then owned by the Moreledge and Francis Jackson families and recorded in Steubenville. This district was transferred to the Minerva School District in or about 1930. The building was torn down and moved to Louisville to be rebuilt into a dwelling.

District No. 5 - Enterprise  has had three schoolhouses. The first one, said to have been built in 1839, was located about one-half mile northwest of the third school and was built in 1892 by John L. Smith, a carpenter of Augusta. It replaced the second frame schoolhouse on the southeast corner of Brush Rd/Bellflower Rd.

District No. 6 -Eureka is from the Greek word meaning "I have found it", has had three schoolhousesin the district. The first school house was a stone building, located one-half mile northwest of the others and was used as a school in the 1850's and 1860's (9221 March Rd NE). The third school house was built in 1899 by the same John L. Smith who built Enterprise and it replaced the second school house at the same location. The last one built, was moved to the farm of E. A. Imhoff in the 1930's, about one mile east of State Route 9, and made into a dwelling at 9306 Kensington Rd SE.

District No. 7 - Augusta. The first school is said to have been built in 1833 on the north side of Augusta, rebuilt in 1853, being a two-story two-room brick building (which burned in 1924). In 1887 the Board of Education appropriated $1600.00 for a new school, as they had been holding Select Schools at times and needed more room. After quite a controversy, a contract was given to John Hyatt, a local carpenter, to build a two-room, one-story building (frame). It was completed in 1888. The lower grades were to occupy one room and the upper grades the other. About the year 1916 the first high school was started; a three-year high school, having to finish the fourth year elsewhere. About the year 1925 it became a four-year high school. In 1927 they started to build the Augusta Township High School building and before it was entirely completed the old schoolhouse, including the portable buildings they were using, burned down. After the fire, the high school moved into the new building along with part of the grade school. The remainder of the grade school was housed in the township house and elsewhere. With this new building, being a four-year High School, East Township in Carroll County and Hanover Township in Columbiana County, tansported the majority of their High School pupils to Augusta by bus for several years, until they built a new High School of their own. Shortly after this building was completed they centralized the schools of Augusta Township, using this building for the Grade School also, and transporting the pupils from the rural districts of the township into Augusta by bus, it having been enlarged by now. This accounts for the closing of the rural schools in Augusta Township in the early 1930's.

In 1934, the Kindergarten School, a project of the W. P. A., was started; taught by Dorothy Howlett, assisted by Clara (Creath) Saltsman, who prepared lunch for the children as well as an aid to education.

On November 15, 1965 the Augusta Board of Education resolved and passed a resolution to transfer all township assets and liabilities, property, both real and personal, to the Carrollton Exempted Village Board of Education, and that the transfer be consummated at 12 o'clock noon on January 1, 1966. Beginning with the 1966 school year, seventh, eigth and high school students were sent to Carrollton High School to complete their education.

Deer Run School
The newest school in Augusta Township is a small Amish school at 6185 Andora Rd NE. It was built in 1989 and opened after Christmas.