Augusta Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Historic Places

Augusta Township has a rich legacy in the many historic buildings that are still standing within its boundaries and in neighboring vicinities. One of the oldest (if not, the oldest) wooden buildings in the township is the McBride Cabin.  It was restored in 1971 by

                      Southeast quarter of Section 3 at 10121 March Rd NE

 

descendants of Jacob McBride who owned the property from 1907 until 1938. The property was originally conveyed to William Mercer by patent under the hand of President John Quincy Adams with the seal of the general land office dated the 10th day of August 1827. This is located in the

 

Three buildings of special note are located south of Augusta, within two miles of one another, and are on the National Register of Historic Places. The first is the

Pottorf House, located at 4071 Meter Road NE and it was built of brick made on the property circa 1840 with a dressed sandstone foundation. It is a five bay federal with stone lug sills and lintels, 6/6 double hung windows and side lighted entries on both first and second floors. The house sits on a 254 acre historic farm, which was the first donated agricultural easement to the Ohio Department of Agriculture, ensuring the farm will not be converted to non-agricultural use. A Country Living Field Day was conducted here on a Saturday in September during 1994-2003. An Agriculture and Natural Resource Expo  continued in 2007-2010. The program included demonstrations, speakers and a trade fair to educate new people moving to the country,

 

                  Pottorf House

      Site of Country Living Field Day

 The Herrington Bethel United Methodist Church, is located at 4009 Savior Rd NE, and the John Herrington House   is located at 4070 Arbor Rd NE. Both are significant examples of the types of Antebellum Stone Architecture built in this region.

    Herrington Bethel U M Church

         John Herrington House

Stone used in the building of these structures was said, by the Ohio Historical Society, to be of better quality than most of the buildings in northeast Carroll County. A black stonemason from East Township, Frank Dunmore, is credited with building the church with the cornerstone laid in 1843. The House was built a short time earlier.                         Due to the time frame and the construction, it is thought he probably built both. Stone for both were quarried on the Herrington property.                                           

 Stone Houses

 Many of the stone buildings, foundation stones and springs with stone enclosures, which were built in the 1840’s, still survive. Those still standing are in various states of repair and conservation. There are 15 stone buildings in or on the border of Augusta Township (including the old stone church and house built by John Herrington and the newer Stone Gate Manor built by Mr. & Mrs. Bill Cundif.  Visit at your leisure.

 

             1265 Arbor Road (Circa 1840)

               2415 Arbor Road (1825)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           1206 Brush Road (Circa 1850)

                 2179 Brush Road (1841)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

        6108 Kensington Road (Circa 1830)

           6266 Kensington Road (1874)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

           7176 Kensington Road (Circa 1850)

        8074 Kensington Road (Circa 1850)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A068074

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A067074

          8301 Kensington Road (Circa 1840)

              10043 Mantle Road (1843)

 

A057074

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A061074    

         2093 Moccasin Road (Circa 1840)

                  9092 Reef Rd NE (1851)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In recent years, a new stone house called Stone Gate Manor, was built in the township. Construction was begun in July 1999. Stone Gate Manor is a Gothic style stone mansion. The owners designed and built it from stones harvested from the area. Windows are of stained glass, which they also constructed.  It took a total of 7 ½ years to complete. Group tours available by appointment.

           

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A108044                                           10117 Mantle Road (2002)

 

 

The Great Trail

 

The Great Trail entered Carroll County in East Township (NE corner of the county) and exited into Columbiana County just north of Stone Gate Manor near the intersection of  Mantle and Starling Roads.

 

www.GreatTrailCorridor.com

www.carrollcountyohio.com/History/GreatTrailRevolution.htm

 

Legend of the Lost Gold

www.carrollcountyohio.com/History/LegendofGold.htm

 

The Lost French Gold—As written By Taylor Woodard

No history of Augusta Township would be complete without the legend of the buried treasure, which is said to have taken place two hundred years ago or more. One hundred years ago, more or less, a man mounted on a fine riding horse with an expensive saddle and equipment, came following the Tuscarora Trail, inquiring if anyone knew of three springs in a group nearby.

There is a farm of which a part of is in the northwest 1/4 sec. no. 4, Augusta Township, and near the old Tuscarora Trail, which at that time had several springs in a group, which had been called Water town by the early settlers.  It must have been an Indian name, and an important meeting place of the Indians, as many Indian relics have been found nearby.

This was the stranger’s story.  When his great uncle was a French soldier at Ft. Duquesne just before the French destroyed it in 1758, before the British moved in, he was one of a party of ten sent with sixteen pack mules loaded with gold and silver, which the French had accumulated in their raids on the British about the time and prior to Braddock’s defeat.

They were following the Tuscarora Trail enroute to Detroit, and had passed through Painted Post, “the crossroads of the Moravian and the Tuscarora Trails, a landmark known to most all Indians and pioneers,” and near the present town of Dungannon, when shortly after, their scouts reported the sign of an Indian ambush. They buried the loot and left several clues identifying the location and made a map of it.  The stranger’s great uncle was the only survivor of the incident.  The Indians killed all of the others soon after the treasure was buried.

His great uncle had the map and went south to North Carolina to make his home.  He had heard him tell the story, and in the papers of the old Frenchman’s estate, he found the treasure map. After an extensive research with no success, he gave up the search, and went back to North Carolina, never to be heard from again.

This story cleared up several mysteries which had occurred in the past, such as the finding of the old rusty musket barrels, also the two old French type shovels under old logs, and the finding of a tree with a deer’s head carved on it, also a tree with a stone in the fork of it, all in the near vicinity.

This treasure has been searched for by many different persons at different times and places, some digging by hand an a few using power shovels, running into many difficulties, a few going to a fortune teller for help.

A few historians have the theory that the washes and gullies of this locality were much deeper at the time the treasure was buried, and that one or more of the men may have known of these gullies, and knowing they would likely have to fight the Indians soon, and no good place to hide the treasure after they got to the flat lands in the Sandy Valley, they decided to hide it here.  Not having much time, they hurriedly placed the loot in one of these deep gullies or washes, covering it with dirt and then brush, and were soon outnumbered by the Indians, with the known results.

As some of these gullies are known to have leveled off and many feet of dirt are in them now, who knows what 200 years of aging of the land has put on top of the treasure by this time. 

Many years ago the owner of the farm where the treasure was thought to be and his neighbor were digging for it when a thunderstorm came up, and they went into an old log cabin (which had been built near the spring in pioneer times) to get out of the rain.  A bolt of lightning struck nearby, running into the cabin, striking the neighbor, knocking out one eye and making him unconscious for a time.

This is the legend of the buried treasure as related by G. E. Robbins, a third generation owner, and lifetime resident of the farm.

Also by J.G. Pim, son of the man who was struck by lightning, who in his 92nd year, remembers well the Decoration Day many years ago when his father was struck by lightning, it following a draft of air through a broken window pane into the cabin, and the neighbors bringing his father home.

Who knows, a fortune may be buried there yet, as no one has ever admitted finding it.

     

The Underground Railroad

 

Augusta Township is said to have had at least one station in the famous Underground

 

Railway, which helped so many slaves in making their escape. This escape route is said to have been founded or organized by Levi Coffin, a wealthy Quaker 0f North Carolina, who conducted his campaign in and around Cincinnati. It is stated around 50,000 slaves were assisted by the Underground Railway in making their escape, prior to the Civil War, the station being in Stillfork Valley and known by code number, as the owners were, rarely mentioned by their correct names. This house has been rumored as the house but

               1265 Arbor Rd  NW

not substantiated to date.