Augusta Township

Carroll County Historical Society

Churches

Christian Church of Augusta
8150 Andora Rd NE, Carrollton
Sunday School: 9:30 am 
Worship: 10:30 am
The first Christian Community Church in the community was an old structure known as the Baker Church, located at Glade Run Corners. This was a log structure built in the early 1800's in East Township. Later, the disciples in the vicinity of Augusta held their meetings in a Manfull barn. In 1842, the old stone church was built. The floor was built on an incline, which faced the pulpit and the entrance on the west. The land grant was recorded in 1845, a gift of George and Mary Manfull. William Manfull, George Manfull, William Elvin, and Washington Iddings were trustees of the First Church of the Disciples of Christ in Augusta. More...

Herrington Bethel United Methodist
4009 Savior Rd NE, Mechanicstown
Sunday School: 9:30 am
Worship: 10:40 am
In John Herrington's home, he and his neighbors and friends held old fashioned Methodist Prayer and Class Meetings until 1825. On March 7, 1825, Mr. Herrington deeded the amount of one acre and nine parcels of land to the trustees of the church who were: John Clinton, Jesse Hendrickson, and John Herrington, Jr. This land was located near the northwest corner of the southwest quarter section of what was the Washington Township portion of the Herrington farm. The purchase price was $1.00. The local men used hewn logs, which were cut from the Herrington farm, to build a house of worship. More...

Mount Zion United Methodist Church
2004 Bellflower Rd NW, Minerva
Worship: 9:30 am
Sunday School: 10:45
Bible Study: Weds. 10:30 am & 7:00 om
In the early 1800's, prayer meetings were held in the different homes. They may have used the old Wesleyan Church. This stood northeast of the present church about where the Leyda and Hague burial plots are in the cemetary. The Mt. Zion Methodist church was organized in 1827. About 1840, a small log church was built northwest of the present building, across the road a few rods. More....

Stillfork Presbyterian
3133 Aurora Rd NE, P O Box 77, Augusta
Sunday School: 9:30 am
Worship: 10:30 am
In the records of Hartville Presbytery, it is noted that David Hyatt appeared before the Presbytery, requesting that a church called "Still Fork", be organized in Augusta Township. The request was granted, and Rev. James McKean organized the church March 26, 1832. The following elders were elected: John Potter, Andrew Watson, David Hyatt, and Robert Gribbens. On June 15, 1832 Andrew Watson and John Potter were ordained and on the 16th the following nine members were received into the church as charter members: Andrew Watson, Jane Watson, David Hyatt, Elizabeth Hyatt, John Potter, Henry Potter, Hannah Moreledge, Mary Watson, and Sarah Vanhorn. Before the church was organized, Mr. and Mrs. Watson walked to Carrollton to church, a distance of ten miles, and carried a baby. More...

Amish- Various Locations
Traditional Sunday services are conducted on a farm-to-farm rotation basis as is the Amish custom. A special pew wagon transports pews to the different farm homes. They have been doing this in the township since 1981.

Sion Church
1 mile south of Augusta of Kensington Rd on Lustre Rd
Little information is available.

The Augusta Society of Friends
A log meeting house was built in 1840-41 on land located about 3 miles north of Augusta where Andora and Starling Road meet. It is on the Columbiana County border, where Quaker Ridge Cemetary is located. Most of the cemetary lies in Columbiana County, Section 34 of West Township. Land was deeded in trust to Jonathon Dean, James McBride, Jabez Coulson and Jeremiah McBride from James McCowen for one acre of land on December 12, 1818. A deed in trust for one acre of land from David and Ann Haldeman was received on October 12, 1825, by the same committee adjoining the land they previously received. The two acres were transferred to trustees Taber Couldon , Mahlon Hole, James Chambers, and David Halderman on October 27, 1840. Shortly before the first meeting house was built. By 1876 a larger building was needed so a new brick building was completed by February 20, 1877. For a time, the meetings were well attended but by 1946, there were not enough members to keep the building up, so it was decided to remove the building.